Getting to APA Convention in Denver, CO & Where to Stay Once You’ve Arrived
So you’ve decided to attend the 2016 APA Convention in Denver, Colorado – that’s great! The next steps in your journey are deciding how to get to Convention and where to stay once you arrive.
How do I get there?
- Fly – For those traveling from farther away, flying may be your best option. Denver International Airport (DIA) is the major airport serving Denver. From here you can take a taxi or shuttle, take local transit, or rent a car to get to your accommodations. Use travel search engines, such as flighthub.com or kayak.com, to compare flight options.
- Ride a Bus – Greyhound and other private bus lines travel to Denver and arrive at the Bus Terminal (1055 19th St), which is close to the RTD’s Market Street Station (local transit).
- Take a Train – Trains will arrive at Denver’s Union Station, where you can get transit schedules, passes and maps. Amtrak has routes that travel to Denver from many locations across the US, but depending on where you’re coming from, these routes can take a significant amount of time – so plan accordingly!
- Drive – If you opt to drive to Convention, APA members and affiliates have discounted rates with the rental car agencies Alamo, Budget, Avis and Hertz. Plus, carpooling is a great way to save money if you’re traveling in a group. If you do plan to drive, don’t forget to factor in the cost of parking for the duration of your stay.
Where should I stay?
For those of you wishing to stay where the action is – the Hyatt Regency Denver at Colorado Convention Center Hotel and the Sheraton Denver are both convention facilities and will be hosting a variety of APA, APAGS and Division events. Keep in mind that these options may be more expensive, so you may wish to find a roommate or two to make the convenience more affordable!
There are many other accommodations within minutes of the Convention Center in downtown Denver. These can be searched using Google Maps. Some of the closest options are:
- Hilton Garden Inn Denver Downtown (2 min walk to Convention Center)
- Embassy Suites Denver (1 min walk to Convention Center)
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown (4 min walk to Convention Center)
- Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Downtown (4 min walk to Convention Center)
- Aloft Denver Downtown (3 min walk to the Convention Center)
- Crown Plaza (4 min walk to the Convention Center)
- Hyatt House Denver/Downtown (4 min walk to Convention Center)
- The Curtis Denver (4 min walk to Convention Center)
- Courtyard Denver Downtown (7 min walk to Convention Center)
If you’re looking for lower cost alternatives, you might consider renting a condo with friends instead of staying at a hotel. Some options are AirBnB, Vacation Rentals by Owner (VRBO), and Vacation Rentals. Again, Google Maps is a good way to figure out if an accommodation is within walking distance (or transiting) distance to the Convention Center.
Check out our post earlier this month A Comprehensive List of Student Travel Awards to Attend APA’s 2016 Convention for more info about potential ways to offset the cost.
Lastly, remember to check the APA website closer to April 15th for more detailed information regarding travel and accommodations.