APAGS: Representing the Future of Psychology
APAGS advocates for students and the future of the profession by focusing on critical issues, including funding for research, improved licensing standards, lowered student debt, improved healthcare access, and recognizing psychology as a science.
APAGS aspires to achieve the highest quality graduate training experience for the next generation of scientific innovators, expert practitioners, and visionary leaders in psychology. Our mission is to build a better future for psychology by serving as a united voice to enrich and advocate for graduate student development.
What We Do:
- Work diligently to advance short and long term solutions to end the internship crisis.
- Provide future and current students with tools to understand student debt and find the right graduate program for you.
- Offer webinars, mentoring programs, and resource guides for students of diverse backgrounds and training perspectives
- Fund grants for students to conduct research.
- Publish Translational Issues in Psychological Science, the first APA journal to examine psychological phenomena from multidisciplinary perspectives. The journal also uses a mentorship model to train students as reviewers and editors.
Who We Are:
Leadership opportunities abound at APAGS through the following specialized subcommittees:
- The Committee for the Advancement of Racial and Ethnic Diversity (CARED) – promotes diversity in psychology and fosters culturally relevant and adaptive science and practice.
- The Committee on Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity(CSOGD) – represents and advocates for the concerns and needs of LGBT students.
- The Convention Committee – evaluates APAGS convention submissions, creates student-focused convention programming, and promotes graduate student participation at the annual APA Convention.
- The Science Committee – represents the perspectives and concerns of graduate students in psychological science and reviews grants to help graduate students conduct research.
How Our Members Benefit:
- Professional Community: As APAGS members, students have the ability to shape the future of the field of psychology, and are able to access cutting edge science, practice, and public interest news.
- Funding and Savings: Our members gain access to dozens of grant and award opportunities, reduced or free registration at APA Convention, and discounts on student liability insurance, as well as membership to a range of APA Divisions.
- Publications: Members receive psychology’s top resources –The American Psychologist and Monitor on Psychology, as well as discounts on APA journals, books, and databases, such as PsycINFO.
- Professional Development: APAGS members serve on task forces, run for official positions, access the PsycCareers database, have access to APAGS listservs and social media and participate in Convention programs.